Lattice-top Peach Pie with Butter Crust
10 firm but ripe peaches, sliced
¾ cu light brown sugar, packed
¾ cu granulated sugar
¼ cu flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ lemon, juiced and strained
4 tbsp sweet butter cut into cubes
2 tbsp turbinado sugar
2 tbsp (about) of half & half
2 ½ cu all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
¾ tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½" cubes
6 tbsp (about) ice water
- Combine peaches, brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice in large bowl.
- Roll out one of the dough disks to fit a 9-inch pie dish, letting it hang over edge.
- Pour pie filling into pie dish and dot with the cubes of butter.
- Roll out 2nd dough disk. Using pizza or pie dough cutter, make ½ inch strips for lattice top. Weave lattice on top of pie filling. Pinch edges together to seal dough and wrap edges lightly with foil to prevent burning.
- Place a foil lined cookie sheet bottom oven rack into a 450 degree preheated oven. Place pie on middle rack. Back for 30 minutes.
- Lower oven temp to 400 degrees. Gently remove foil from crust. Brush half and half on crust and sprinkle with turbinado or crystallized sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cool before serving.
- Great with vanilla ice cream
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt in food processor.
- Add butter and pulse until coarse meal forms.
- Slowly blend enough ice water to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball and divide in half.
- Form dough halves into 2 balls and flatten each into disks.
- Wrap each half in plastic wrap and chill 2 hours or overnight.